About the Scholarship
The Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (UAB) is a public university located in the city of Barcelona in Catalonia, Spain. UAB ranks second in Spain and is among the 100 best European universities. It is known for its high quality research and teaching. They offer over 36 graduate programs taught entirely in English.
The Fundació Autònoma Solidaria (FAS) is an NGO affiliated with the university that aims to promote social change. One of their programs is to engage refugee and asylum seeking youth in education. Jusoor has established a partnership with FAS and UAB to support up to two Syrian students to study at UAB.
Jusoor is proud to be partners with UAB and FAS since 2021 to support Syrian scholars. The Jusoor-UAB Scholarship will support up to two master’s level awards for Syrian students who wish to pursue their studies at UAB. The scholarship will be to study a one-year master’s degree for the 2024-2025 academic year. The amount will cover tuition fees, living expenses, health insurance and travel costs.
The Jusoor - UAB Scholarship will be open for both men and women, applicants should demonstrate financial need and be living either in Syria or a surrounding host country (i.e. Lebanon, Jordan, Turkey, Iraq or Egypt).
Eligible degrees are listed below and you can read more about them here:
- Advanced Genetics
- Advanced Nanoscience and Nanotechnology
- Applied Research in Economics and Business
- Economics and Business Administration
- High Energy Physics, Astrophysics and Cosmology
- Industrial Chemistry and Introduction to Chemical Research
- Internet of Things for e-Health
- Modeling for Science and Engineering
- Political Science
- Zoonoses and One Health
- Interdisciplinary Studies in Environmental, Economic and Social sustainability
- meet the academic requirements of UAB; it is their responsibility to determine whether they do by visiting the respective program pages.
- be Syrian or Palestinian-Syrian holding a Syrian Travel Document
- have a strong academic record and meet the admissions requirements of the partner university (including language requirements)
- have a strong record of leadership and community engagement, as demonstrated through volunteer and/or work experience; demonstrate social consciousness
- demonstrate willingness and intent to contribute to the redevelopment of Syria and impact the global Syrian community
- have clear and realistic short and long-term career goals
- demonstrate knowledge and interest in their selected program of study
- not already have the level of degree that they are applying to study
- be living in Syria, Lebanon, Jordan, Türkiye, Egypt or Iraq at the time of selection and must have lived in Syria continuously prior to the start of the conflict.
- demonstrate financial need
- have a motivated, self starter attitude and strength of character
- demonstrate at least C1 English Language Proficiency according to the European Framework of Reference for Languages (exceptions might be made for a B2 level)
- Provide an IELTS/ TOEFL exam certificate if they have one
- be willing to engage with the Jusoor and FAS communities
Candidates are only allowed to apply to one Jusoor scholarship. If you apply to a second Jusoor scholarship, only your first application will be considered.
If selected for the scholarship, the successful candidates will be required to sign the Jusoor Scholar contract. The main points of the contract are outlined below, and selected scholars can request to read the contract in full before accepting the award. The awardee agrees:
- To give Jusoor permission to use their name, photographs and biographies on Jusoor’s website, social media and in publications.
- To make efforts to attend online and in-person events when requested by Jusoor.
- To submit a form provided by Jusoor each term to provide academic updates.
- To agree that to the best of their ability, they will use the knowledge and skills gained through this scholarship to support the development of Syria.
- To maintain good academic standing.
- Not to serve as an official representative of any government and not to engage in activities of public nature that are likely to affect Jusoor negatively, while receiving funding from Jusoor.
How to Apply
Candidates must apply through this online application. You should not apply to the university.
Jusoor uses the Open AI Text Detector; applications that use generative AI (ChatGPT, Bing Chat, Bard) will be penalized.
Frequently Asked Questions
How many awards will be given?
For this selection cycle, up to two one-year master’s degrees will be funded.
Is there an age limit to be eligible?
No. Although our mission focuses on empowering Syrian youth, we welcome applicants of all ages.
I’m married and/or have children. Am I eligible?
Yes, but Jusoor, FAS and UAB do not sponsor family members.
If awarded the scholarship, can the funding support my husband and/or children?
Unfortunately not. The scholarship is intended to support only the scholar. Due to limited resources, Jusoor, UAB and FAS cannot provide any financial or relocation assistance for your family, including help with visa arrangements.
What do you look for in the ideal applicant?
We look for a balance of the following:
1) strong GPA and record of academic achievement
2) volunteer and/or work experience relevant to your field of study
3) proven leadership ability as demonstrated through volunteer and/or work experience
4) willingness and demonstrated intent to contribute to the redevelopment of Syria,
5) willingness to participate in Jusoor’s community.
6) a clear and realistic plan for personal and career success post-graduation.
7) A motivated, self-starter attitude
8) Preference will be given to candidates who demonstrate financial need.
How do I choose the right university and program of study for me?
Jusoor encourages you to think critically about your academic and personal interests, professional goals, and passions when selecting a university and country of study. You can read more about how to select the right scholarship here.
Do I need to apply for admission to the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona before submitting my application?
No. The only application you need to complete is the scholarship application provided on this page.
I earned my undergraduate degree in Syria. Am I still eligible to apply?
I earned my undergraduate degree in Syria and am having trouble obtaining my undergraduate degree documents as proof of attendance and/or graduation. Can Jusoor help?
Unfortunately not. Through experience in this matter, we have learned Jusoor cannot be of assistance. This issue must be resolved with your university and the Ministry of Education where applicable.
Do I need to pay a fee to apply to the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona?
Can Jusoor offer to fund any English exam or graduate school testing I might require?
Yes, Jusoor will offer a stipend to the selected scholars(s) if they have not yet taken a test by the time of selection.
I’m already enrolled in a master's degree and am applying as a transfer student. Am I eligible for the scholarship?
Yes, we welcome applications from transfer students.
I already hold one master’s degree and am applying this degree to be my second master’s degree. Am I eligible for the scholarship?
No, all applicants applying to pursue a master’s degree must be applying to complete
their first master’s degree program.
What documents do I need to apply for?
We encourage all applicants to prepare these documents as early as possible. Both black and white and color copies are accepted. All files must be PDFs.
- Copy of passport or national ID
- Copy of undergraduate program transcripts (official if available), or current master degree program transcripts if applying as a transfer student. The transcripts must be translated into English (you may self-translate)
- Academic letter of recommendation (from a professor)
- Professional reference (from your current or previous work or volunteer experience)
- Copy of TOEFL or IELTS scores if you’ve taken either exam
- Motivation letter explaining which program you would like to study.
What requirements does my CV need to meet?
Your CV may be in any format you like but we ask you to keep it concise. There is no maximum page length.
What requirements does my academic letter of recommendation need to meet?
This letter should be written by a current or previous university professor, academic advisor, or other similar faculty members of yours. The letter must be on university letterhead, written in English, dated and signed with the recommender’s e-mail address included. There is no limit to the letter’s length. You may only submit one academic letter of recommendation.
What requirements does my professional reference need to meet?
This reference should be written by a current or previous professional supervisor/manager of yours while you were employed in a paid or volunteer position. The letter must be written in English, dated and signed with the reference’s e-mail address included. There is no limit for the reference length. You may only submit one professional reference.
What advice can you give for responding to the application essay questions?
We encourage you to fully address the question while being clear, concise, and providing relevant examples. The questions are subjective with no “right” or “wrong” answer. In fairness to other applicants, we cannot offer specific advice on the essay questions.
What is the interview process like?
If selected as a finalist, you will be virtually interviewed by a panel of Jusoor, UAB and FAS team members to assess your suitability for the scholarship. We may ask you to elaborate on the information provided in your application, and will also ask you to respond to a series of questions based on real-life scenarios which scholars face during their academic programs. We are interested to see how you might respond to typical challenges faced by scholars and how you would contribute to furthering Jusoor and FAS’s missions while fulfilling your personal goals. We will also ask about your career plans and how you intend to impact the Syrian community in Syria and/or outside of Syria. Interviews generally last for 45 minutes to 1 hour and are conducted in English.
When will I be notified of my application status?
We expect to conduct interviews with shortlisted candidates from mid to late March 2023 and select awardees by mid-April 2024 (subject to change). All applicants will be notified via e-mail of their status after each stage of the selection process.
What are my chances of obtaining a Spanish visa if awarded the scholarship?
The scholarship award is conditional on the awardee receiving their visa. If the awardee is not granted admission or does not receive their visa, the scholarship will be awarded to the next highest-scoring applicant.
When are scholarship funds disbursed?
Scholarship funds cannot be disbursed until the awardee arrives in Spain.
Where can I find more FAQs?
You can find more FAQs here.