About the Scholarship
Jusoor is proud to partner with the American University of Beirut to offer up to two scholarships to Syrian students who will begin pursuing bachelor’s degrees in Computer Science in the 2024-2025 academic year.
- Be Syrian, Palestinian-Syrian or have a Syrian travel document
- Have a strong record of leadership and community engagement, as demonstrated through volunteer and/or work experience
- Demonstrate willingness and intent to contribute to the redevelopment of Syria
- Have a strong academic record
- Demonstrate a willingness to be engaged with Jusoor’s community.
- Be living in Lebanon at the time of selection.
- Be admitted to AUB and qualify for financial aid from AUB.
Candidates are only allowed to apply to one Jusoor scholarship. If you apply to a second Jusoor scholarship, only your first application will be considered.
If selected for the scholarship, the successful candidates will be required to sign the Jusoor Scholar contract. The main points of the contract are outlined below, and selected scholars can request to read the contract in full before accepting the award. The awardee agrees:
- To give Jusoor permission to use their name, photographs and biographies on Jusoor’s website, social media and in publications.
- To make efforts to attend online and in-person events when requested by Jusoor.
- To submit a form provided by Jusoor each term to provide academic updates.
- To agree that to the best of their ability, they will use the knowledge and skills gained through this scholarship to support the development of Syria.
- To maintain good academic standing.
- Not to serve as an official representative of any government and not to engage in activities of public nature that are likely to affect Jusoor negatively, while receiving funding from Jusoor.
The scholarship offers full funding for tuition only.
How to Apply
Candidates must apply to AUB. Applicants who are admitted to AUB and fit Jusoor’s eligibility criteria will receive a Jusoor scholarship application in May/June 2024.
It is your responsibility to meet AUB’s application deadlines. If you have any questions about AUB’s application, please contact the university.
Frequently Asked Questions
Please carefully read the below
How many awards will be given?
For this selection cycle, up to two awards for a bachelor’s in Computer Science will be given.
Is there an age limit to be eligible?
No. Although our mission focuses on empowering Syrian youth, we welcome applicants of all ages.
How do I choose the right university and program of study for me?
Jusoor encourages you to think critically about your academic and personal interests, professional goals, and passions when selecting a university and country of study.
Do I need to apply to Jusoor before I am admitted to AUB?
No. You must apply to AUB and if you are admitted, you will be provided with Jusoor’s scholarship application.
I earned my undergraduate degree in Syria. Am I still eligible to apply?
Can Jusoor offer to fund any English exam or graduate school testing I might require?
Yes, Jusoor will offer a stipend to the selected scholars(s) if they have not yet taken a test by the time of selection.
I’m already enrolled in a bachelor’s degree and am applying as a transfer student. Am I eligible for the scholarship?
Yes, we welcome applications from transfer students.
I already hold one master’s degree and am applying this degree to be my second bachelor’s degree. Am I eligible for the scholarship?
No, this must be your first bachelor’s degree.
What documents do I need to apply?
For your AUB application, you should check their requirements on their website.
If you are invited to complete a Jusoor application, you will need to provide:
- Copy of passport or national ID
- Copy of transcripts (official if available), or current master degree program transcripts if applying as a transfer student. CV
- Academic letter of recommendation (from a teacher)
- Professional reference (from your current or previous work or volunteer experience)
- Copy of TOEFL or IELTS scores if you’ve taken either exam
What requirements does my CV need to meet?
Your CV may be in any format you like but we ask you to keep it concise. There is no maximum page length.
What requirements does my academic letter of recommendation need to meet?
This letter should be written by a current or previous university teacher, academic advisor, or other similar faculty members of yours. The letter must be on letterhead, written in English, dated and signed with the recommender’s e-mail address included. There is no limit to the letter’s length. You may only submit one academic letter of recommendation.
What requirements does my professional reference need to meet?
This reference should be written by a current or previous professional supervisor/manager of yours while you were employed in a paid or volunteer position. The letter must be written in English, dated and signed with the reference’s e-mail address included. There is no limit for the reference length. You may only submit one professional reference.
What do you look for in the ideal applicant?
We look for a balance of the following:
1) strong GPA and record of academic achievement
2) volunteer and/or work experience relevant to your field of study
3) proven leadership ability as demonstrated through volunteer and/or work experience
4) willingness and demonstrated intent to contribute to the redevelopment of Syria, and to engage with Jusoor and participate in the FAS community.
5) a clear and realistic plan for personal and career success post-graduation.
6) Financial need
What advice can you give for responding to the application essay questions?
We encourage you to fully address the question while being clear, concise, and providing relevant examples. The questions are subjective with no “right” or “wrong” answer. In fairness to other applicants, we cannot offer specific advice on the essay questions.
What is the interview process like?
If selected as a finalist, you will be virtually interviewed by a panel of Jusoor team members to assess your suitability for the scholarship. We may ask you to elaborate on the information provided in your application, and will also ask you to respond to a series of questions based on real-life scenarios which scholars face during their academic programs. We are interested to see how you might respond to typical challenges faced by scholars and how you would contribute to furthering Jusoor’s missions while fulfilling your personal goals. We will also ask about your career plans and how you intend to impact the Syrian community in Syria and/or outside of Syria. Interviews generally last for 45 minutes to 1 hour and are conducted in English.
Where can I find more FAQs?
You can find more FAQs here.