Jusoor-Program for International Education and Social Change Scholarship at Bard College BerlinApply Now
About the Scholarship
Jusoor is proud to announce a new partnership with Bard College Berlin, where we will offer scholarships beginning in Fall 2023 for two Syrian students to complete their bachelor’s degrees.
Bard College Berlin is a private, nonprofit, German-American liberal arts college offering four-year BA degree programs. On a residential campus in former East Berlin, student study the social sciences, arts, and humanities. A student to faculty ratio of 5:1 allows the college to provide an education of the highest quality that is based on small-group teaching and individual advising. Bard College Berlin is part of the Bard College and OSUN networks, which offer students a global network of study opportunities.
The Program in International Education and Social Change (PIESC) was introduced at Bard College Berlin in 2015 and has supported over 60 students from areas of crisis including Afghanistan, Eritrea, Iraq, Syria, and Ukraine with full scholarships. Further information on the PIESC program is available here.
Bard College Berlin offers three bachelor’s degrees:
BA in Economics, Politics and Social Thought with concentrations in Economics and Politics.
BA in Humanities, the Arts and Social Thought with concentrations in Art and Aesthetics, Ethics and Politics, or Literature and Rhetoric.
BA in Artistic Practice and Society (new program due to start in Fall 2023)
Candidates must apply directly to the university, not to Jusoor. Please see BCB’s admissions page for more information.
- Be Syrian, Palestinian-Syrian or have a Syrian travel document
- Have a strong record of leadership and community engagement, as demonstrated through volunteer and/or work experience
- Demonstrate willingness and intent to contribute to the redevelopment of Syria
- Have a strong academic record
- Demonstrate financial need
- Demonstrate a willingness to be engaged with Jusoor’s community.
- Be living in Syria, Lebanon, Jordan, Turkey, Iraq or Egypt at the time of selection.
- Be admitted to Bard College Berlin.
- C1 English
- Academic achievement
- Personal achievement and leadership
- Financial need
- Interest in and commitment towards rebuilding Syria
This is scholarship covers all tuition, fees, health insurance, visa, airfare, room and board, books, a local transportation stipend, a resettlement budget campus stay and meals during breaks. Students are responsible for other personal expenses/pocket money and are allowed to work on or off campus.
How to Apply
Students must apply to the university with their application must submit this financial statement form and make sure to mark PIESC. Please see BCB’s admissions page for more information.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How many awards will be given?
For this selection cycle up to two bachelor’s degree will be funded.
- Is there an age limit to be eligible?
Yes, the age limit for applicants is 25 years old.
- I’m married and/or have children. Am I eligible?
- If awarded the scholarship, can the funding support my husband and/or children?
Unfortunately not. The scholarship is intended to support only the scholar. Due to limited resources,
Jusoor and BCB cannot provide any financial or relocation assistance for your family, including help with visa arrangements.
- Which study programs are eligible?
BA in Economics, Politics and Social Thought
BA in Humanities, the Arts and Social Thought
BA in Artistic Practice and Society
- I earned my high school diploma in Syria. Am I still eligible to apply?
- I earned my high school diploma in Syria and am having trouble obtaining my documents as proof of attendance and/or graduation. Can Jusoor help?
Unfortunately not. Through experience in this matter, we have learned Jusoor cannot be of assistance. This issue must be resolved with your university and the Ministry of Education where applicable.
- Do I need to pay a fee to apply to Bard College Berlin?
- Can Jusoor offer to fund any English exam or graduate school testing I might require?
Jusoor can offer a stipend for English testing only to the student who is accepted for the scholarship.
- I’m already enrolled in a bachelor’s degree and am applying as a transfer student. Am I eligible for the scholarship?
Yes, we welcome applications from transfer students.
- I already hold a bachelor’s degree. Am I eligible for the scholarship?
No, all applicants must be applying to complete their first bachelor’s degree.
- What documents do I need to apply?
Applicants are asked to submit the following materials for admission:
- Application form
- Official transcripts from school/university
- A graded writing sample
- Two academic letters of recommendation
- Proof of C1 English proficiency
- For further details, please see BCB’s website
- What do you look for in the ideal applicant?
We look for a balance of the following:
1) strong GPA and record of academic achievement
2) volunteer and/or work experience relevant to your field of study
3) proven leadership ability as demonstrated through volunteer and/or work experience
4) willingness and demonstrated intent to contribute to the redevelopment of Syria,
5) willingness to participate in Jusoor’s community.
6) a clear and realistic plan for personal and career success post-graduation.
7) A motivated, self-starter attitude
8) Preference will be given to candidates who demonstrate financial need.
- What is the interview process like?
If selected as a finalist, you will be virtually interviewed by a panel of Jusoor team members to assess your suitability for the scholarship. We may ask you to elaborate on the information provided in your application, and will also ask you to respond to a series of questions based on real-life scenarios which scholars face during their academic programs. We are interested to see how you might respond to typical challenges faced by scholars and how you would contribute to furthering Jusoor’s missions while fulfilling your personal goals. Interviews generally last for 30 minutes to 1 hour and are conducted in English.
- When will I be notified of my application status?
We try to be as transparent with our selection process as possible. We expect to conduct interviews with shortlisted candidates throughout February 2022 and select awardees by mid-March 2022 (subject to change).
- When are scholarship funds disbursed?
Scholarship funds cannot be disbursed until the awardee arrives in Germany