Jusoor, which means "bridges" in Arabic, is an international NGO with the mission of “Maximizing the potential of Syrian youth through education”. Founded in 2011 by Syrian Diaspora in the private sector, Jusoor is a unique model of humanitarian intervention known for its innovative approach, dynamic and continuously improving programs, high-velocity execution, and the strength of its global partnerships. We believe in lean impact, and hold ourselves accountable for being nimble and responsive to the realities of Syrian children and youth on the ground and in the diaspora. We are also non-political, non-religious and globally registered in the US, Canada, UK, Jordan and Lebanon.
Over the last 12 years, Jusoor has been bridging the opportunity gap for war- and displacement- affected children at each developmental stage through to their early career. Through our 4 programs – Refugee Education, Scholarships, Entrepreneurship and Career Development — we have impacted the lives of over 15,000 children and youth through creating diverse and meaningful educational pathways in the Middle East, US, UK, Europe, and Asia; trained over 2,000 entrepreneurs; and empowered over 600 businesses and startups through mobilizing over 23million USD in global support. Our specialized and committed team of 25 staff and 50 frontline educators work passionately to empower and elevate generations of Syrian youth.
and Make an Impact
About the Role
At Jusoor, we believe in the power of people to bring about extraordinary change. We see the Jusoor team as leaders of a significant shift in the future of Syria and Syrians globally. As our Head of Fundraising, you will be at the forefront of our mission. You will not only set the fundraising strategy but also inspire and motivate your team to achieve exceptional results. You will bring in new individual and institutional donors alongside stewarding our existing donors. Your efforts will directly impact our ability to make a difference in the lives of thousands of Syrian children and youth.
The organization is seeking a results-oriented person motivated to raise funds for Jusoor, someone who is a natural and genuine relationship builder. The ideal candidate has:
- Proven success in fundraising leadership, including a track record of securing significant gifts and grants and managing a fundraising team.
- Visionary thinker with the ability to create and implement innovative fundraising strategies.
- Deep passion for our mission and a genuine desire to create positive change in the world.
- Skilled in establishing and managing relationships and partnerships with private and institutional donors and other counterparts
- Demonstrated ability to lead people effectively; experience in managing people, processes and deadlines to achieve fundraising goals
- Strong judgment & discretion, capable of handling confidential information
- Can-do spirit and resourceful, able to thrive in fast-paced and ambiguous environments
- Knowledge of novel digital strategies to promote fundraising, experience working cross-departmentally with Communications teams to ensure effective implementation of donor strategy and campaigns
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously, and reset priorities quickly if needed
- Ability to work occasional non-standard hours including evening and weekends
- Ability to travel
- Deep Knowledge of the MENA region context and donor ecosystem
- Existing connections to HNWI in the Levant region
- Knowledge of Arabic
- Knowledge of the challenges facing Syrian children and youth
- Strong writing skills that convey mission, values, and goals in ways compelling to our supporters
- Proficiency in donor databases (preferably Salesforce)
- Experience in development and writing winning technical proposals for institutional funders
Required Skills and Experience
- Work with the Executive Director and the Board of Directors to spearhead Jusoor’s fundraising strategy to deliver an annual average of 30% income growth
- Establish and monitor funding strategic objectives and KPIs
- Develop department budgets, income projections, work plans and board presentations
- Give insights on global fundraising trends and the implications for the organization
- Manage and develop a high performance fundraising team, clearly delineating roles and responsibilities and hiring as needed
- Serve as an active member of the Jusoor leadership team, supporting the ED and board with organisational strategy and direction and enhancing operational effectiveness
- Using an innovative and proactive approach to business development, maintain a steady pipeline of funding opportunities and develop strategic partnerships that ensure stable income growth and excellence in grant management
- Oversee proposal development, including budgeting, in collaboration with technical teams, acting as a critical filter for the prospects in funding opportunities, bids, and philanthropic partnerships
- Cultivate, steward and manage key donor relationships in particular major and high net
- worth donors, build on existing and developing new donors
- Lead, develop and oversee the legacy / planned giving income stream for the organisation
- Work with the team to ensure the database of donors, is well maintained and ensure quality, accuracy and confidentiality of donor data
- Lead innovative digital fundraising, plan and execute campaigns in collaboration with the communications department
- Organize and lead successful fundraising events
- Develop, support and coordinate donor visits
- Work closely with the board and leadership team to mobilize leads and with the program teams, ensure that partner inputs are solicited and incorporated into the design phase of new projects and proposals wherever possible
- Review monthly financial statements and facilitates reconciliation of donor gifts between finance and fundraising data systems and against income projections
- Work closely with the Communications team in order to build and deliver effective donor acquisition and retention strategies
- Coordinate the due diligence process for all donors and potential partners. Identify specific risk mitigation measures working with other departments as appropriate
- Support enhancement and compliance of existing fundraising policies as well as developing new policies as appropriate and continually updating best practice documentation
- Represent Jusoor at external events and to external partners and stakeholders
- Ensure that staff across the organization are regularly attending and speaking at events and are well preparted to increase Jusoor's visibility among donors and potential partners
Culture, Values & Expectations
At Jusoor, we place integrity, accountability, and respect at the core of our values. Jusoor is an equal-opportunity employer committed to creating a welcoming work environment. Jusoor does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, gender, religion, marital status, disability, or sexual orientation. People with disabilities and people of all gender identities are encouraged to apply.
Why Work with Us
- Energetic, diverse and all-star team to work with and learn from
- Generous paid time off and parental policies
- Yearly professional development stipend for courses, conferences, learning materials, and a variety of training opportunities across the organization.
- Opportunities for creativity and directing your career path within the organization
Learn more about Jusoor and the team behind it
How to Apply
Interested candidates should apply and submit their CV and a cover letter, before the end of day on November 15, 2023.
Note that applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
As a result of the high number of applications we receive, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Join the Team, Apply Now
Job opening closes on
November 15, 2023
at GMT midnight