Jusoor, which means "bridges" in Arabic, is an international NGO with the mission of “Maximizing the potential of Syrian youth through education”. Founded in 2011 by Syrian Diaspora in the private sector, Jusoor is a unique model of humanitarian intervention known for its innovative approach, dynamic and continuously improving programs, high-velocity execution, and the strength of its global partnerships. We believe in lean impact, and hold ourselves accountable for being nimble and responsive to the realities of Syrian children and youth on the ground and in the diaspora. We are also non-political, non-religious and globally registered in the US, Canada, UK, Jordan and Lebanon.
Over the last 12 years, Jusoor has been bridging the opportunity gap for war- and displacement- affected children at each developmental stage through to their early career. Through our 4 programs – Refugee Education, Scholarships, Entrepreneurship and Career Development — we have impacted the lives of over 15,000 children and youth through creating diverse and meaningful educational pathways in the Middle East, US, UK, Europe, and Asia; trained over 2,000 entrepreneurs; and empowered over 600 businesses and startups through mobilizing over 23million USD in global support. Our specialized and committed team of 25 staff and 50 frontline educators work passionately to empower and elevate generations of Syrian youth.
and Make an Impact
Are you passionate about securing financial support to fund education programs and activities for children and youth in the Middle East? Do you have a drive for cultivating relationships with potential donors and creating effective fundraising strategies?
If so, then this exciting opportunity might be the perfect fit for you! At Jusoor, the Fundraising Team is designed to provide essential funds for all of our education and entrepreneurship programs in the Middle East and globally, thereby impacting thousands of young lives every year. We also work closely with other departments to ensure the fundraising strategy aligns with the needs of each program, which are a reflection of the most pressing needs on the ground.
As a member of the Fundraising Team, you will work directly alongside Jusoor’s Head of Fundraising, and engage with other members of the Fundraising and Programs team to support their work.
About the Role
We are looking for a highly motivated, creative and energetic individual to join our Fundraising Team to research and cultivate prospects, and proactively solicit major gifts for all of Jusoor’s education and entrepreneurship programs.
The Donor Relations Associate will be directly responsible for researching, cultivating and soliciting multiple large gifts on a monthly basis. Another chief responsibility will be planning and delivering multiple events (in-person, online, hybrid) throughout the year.
- Cultivate and solicit major gifts: Successfully identify, cultivate, and solicit major gifts equivalent to and greater than $5,000 from Arab nationals in the Gulf and Levant, as well as diaspora locations (North America, Asia and Europe), resulting in a 10% increase in major gift revenue in Year 1.
- Donor relationship building: Successfully maintain and build strong relationships with a minimum of 100 current major donors in Year 1 in multiple locations, expanding to 150 in Year 2.
- Communications: Prepare effective private and public acknowledgements to support the stewardship journey, resulting in a 5% increase in donor retention. Work collaboratively with the Communications team as well as the Stewardship Associate to ensure timely and appropriate scheduling of communications.
- Event management: Successfully project-manage four events each year (online, hybrid or in-person).
- Case presentation: Prepare persuasive cases for support for each of the programs and projects.
- Individual fundraising strategies: Develop and implement individualized fundraising strategies for all assigned major donors.
- Fundraising reports: Create monthly reports that outline funding secured.
- Research: Undertake research and provide briefing notes on identified prospective major donors.
- Additional responsibilities as and when required by the Fundraising team.
- Proficient communication skills in both English and Arabic, both orally and in writing
- Access to a computer or laptop with high-speed internet
- Strong computer skills, including familiarity with Google Drive, Slack, and Zoom
- Proven track record of handling confidential information with discretion
- Ability to travel when required - to the Levant, Gulf, Europe and North America
- Ability to effectively collaborate with team members while also being self-motivated and able to work independently
- Demonstrates respect for diverse identities, including strong multicultural awareness and gender-sensitive behavior as a member of a global team.
Required Skills and Experience
1. Core qualifications:
- At least three to five years of experience in major gifts fundraising or related field, with a proven track record of successful donor solicitation and stewardship from the Middle East
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant field such as public relations, finance or business administration
- Highly organized. Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously, and consistently meet or exceed deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to build and maintain relationships with donors, volunteers, and other diverse stakeholders
- Track record of working collaboratively in a team environment and contributing to team goals, as well as experience working independently
2. Technical Skills
- Cultivation and solicitation of major gifts: Ability to develop relationships with high-net worth individuals leading to successful solicitation of major gifts ($5,000 and above)
- Individual fundraising strategy development: Ability to develop and implement fundraising strategies for targeted high-net worth individuals that align with organizational objectives and result in increased major gift revenue.
- Event planning and management: Ability to plan, execute, and manage events (online, hybrid or in-person) that engage major donors and prospects, resulting in increased donor attendance, satisfaction and giving.
- Financial acumen and communications: Ability to provide timely synthesis of financial information and effectively communicate to the team, donors and other stakeholders.
3. Other Relevant Qualifications
- Background or experience on forced migration, issues pertinent to Syria and the Middle East including children rights, refugee education and employment are desirable.
- Prior experience working with a non-profit in the Levant is highly desirable.
- Prior working knowledge of Salesforce is desirable.
Culture, Values & Expectations
At Jusoor, we place integrity, accountability, and respect at the core of our values. Jusoor is an equal-opportunity employer committed to creating a welcoming work environment. Jusoor does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, gender, religion, marital status, disability, or sexual orientation. People with disabilities and people of all gender identities are encouraged to apply.
Why Work with Us
- Energetic, diverse and all-star team to work with and learn from
- Generous paid time off and parental policies
- Yearly professional development stipend for courses, conferences, learning materials, and a variety of training opportunities across the organization.
- Opportunities for creativity and directing your career path within the organization
Learn more about Jusoor and the team behind it
How to Apply
Submit your application including your CV/resume and Cover Letter by May 31, 2023.
* Applications that do not follow the above instructions will not be considered. We will review your application and if shortlisted, will invite you for an interview._
Join the Team, Apply Now
Job opening closes on
May 31, 2023
at GMT midnight