Jusoor, which means "bridges" in Arabic, is an international NGO with the mission of “Maximizing the potential of Syrian youth through education”. Founded in 2011 by Syrian Diaspora in the private sector, Jusoor is a unique model of humanitarian intervention known for its innovative approach, dynamic and continuously improving programs, high-velocity execution, and the strength of its global partnerships. We believe in lean impact, and hold ourselves accountable for being nimble and responsive to the realities of Syrian children and youth on the ground and in the diaspora. We are also non-political, non-religious and globally registered in the US, Canada, UK, Jordan and Lebanon.
Over the last 12 years, Jusoor has been bridging the opportunity gap for war- and displacement- affected children at each developmental stage through to their early career. Through our 4 programs – Refugee Education, Scholarships, Entrepreneurship and Career Development — we have impacted the lives of over 15,000 children and youth through creating diverse and meaningful educational pathways in the Middle East, US, UK, Europe, and Asia; trained over 2,000 entrepreneurs; and empowered over 600 businesses and startups through mobilizing over 23million USD in global support. Our specialized and committed team of 25 staff and 50 frontline educators work passionately to empower and elevate generations of Syrian youth.
and Make an Impact
Are you passionate about securing financial support to fund education programs and activities for children and youth? Do you have a drive for cultivating relationships with potential donors and creating effective fundraising strategies? Are you motivated by concrete impact, and do you feel inspired when you contribute to facilitating positive change? If so, then this exciting opportunity might be the perfect fit for you! We are looking for a highly motivated and talented individual to join our Fundraising Team, who work to secure financial support from various sources to fund the organization's efforts to support the education and entrepreneurship of Syria’s youth, and is keen to identify and cultivate relationships with potential and current donors, developing fundraising campaigns, and implement global fundraising strategies. We also work closely with other departments to ensure the fundraising strategy aligns with the needs of each program, which are a reflection of the most pressing needs on the ground.
As a member of the Fundraising Team, you'll work alongside some of the most proficient and passionate individuals in the field. You will work directly alongside Jusoor’s Grant Fundraising Associate, and engage with our Head of Fundraising and other members of the Fundraising and Programs team to support their work.
About the Role
The Grant Fundraising Intern will support the researching of potential partnership and funding opportunities from institutional and corporate donors who are keen to support the education of and entrepreneurship opportunities for youth from Syria and the Middle East. The intern will work alongside Jusoor’s Grant Fundraising Associate to support the development of institutional donor mapping, prospect research, and assist with the development of grant applications for our programs. The intern will also have the opportunity to learn about the grant fundraising process, and gain practical experience in research, grant writing and management, donor relations and partnerships.
- Conduct research on a regular basis to identify potential grant opportunities each month that align with Jusoor's mission and strategic goals.
- Identify and evaluate prospective foundation and corporate donors whose interests align with Jusoor's mission in education and programs in refugee education, scholarships, and entrepreneurship.
- Research and map current and potential partners in the Levant region and beyond, using tools such as databases, online research, and networking.
- Support the preparation of letters of interest to potential donors.
- Monitor regional events, situation reports, and research publications each week that align with Jusoor's mission and programs.
- Prepare donor prospect briefing notes for the Fundraising team to increase our familiarity with the donor institution’s funding history, interests and strategy, and key personnel.
- Develop and deliver partnership assessment checklists using Jusoor's guidelines and best practices as needed by new potential partners in Lebanon (and worldwide). These partnership assessments are the foundation of new donor relationships, and essential to ensuring Jusoor is well positioned to implement programs with new donors when the opportunity arises.
- Provide general administrative and organizational support to the Fundraising team as needed weekly.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills in English
- Access to a computer or laptop with high-speed internet
- Strong computer skills and experience navigating various cloud-based collaboration platforms, including Google Drive, Slack and Zoom.
- Ability to effectively collaborate with other remotely-based team members while also being self-motivated and able to work independently.
- Demonstrates respect for diverse identities, including strong multicultural awareness and gender-sensitive behavior as a member of a global team.
Required Skills and Experience
1. Core Qualifications
- Interest and/or background in the Middle East, education, entrepreneurship, migration, and refugee support.
- Strong business English to support drafting communications with high-level partners and donors; spoken and written Arabic desirable
- Highly organized. Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously, and consistently meet or exceed deadlines.
- Track record of working collaboratively in a team environment and contributing to team goals, as well as experience working independently
- Strong interpersonal skills, demonstrated through previous successful collaborations and effective communication with diverse stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative, proactively and creatively solve problems with a positive and mature attitude that motivates others.
2. Technical Skills
- Experience conducting independent research, including identifying reliable sources, analyzing data, and synthesizing complex information into actionable insights.
- Demonstrated ability to produce high-quality technical written materials (e.g., reports, proposals, research papers, specifications) that are clear, concise, accurate, and adhere to industry standards and best practices, demonstrating strong analytical, communication, and writing skills.
3. Experience & Education
- Currently enrolled in a Bachelor's or Master's program in a relevant field such as nonprofit management, communication, education or social sciences.
- Experience working in the nonprofit and/or fundraising sector.
- Familiarity with stakeholders in NGO and emergency education space.
- Arabic language proficiency desired.
Culture, Values & Expectations
At Jusoor, we place integrity, accountability, and respect at the core of our values. Jusoor is an equal-opportunity employer committed to creating a welcoming work environment. Jusoor does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, gender, religion, marital status, disability, or sexual orientation. People with disabilities and people of all gender identities are encouraged to apply.
Why Work with Us
- Energetic, diverse and all-star team to work with and learn from
- Generous paid time off and parental policies
- Yearly professional development stipend for courses, conferences, learning materials, and a variety of training opportunities across the organization.
- Opportunities for creativity and directing your career path within the organization
Learn more about Jusoor and the team behind it
How to Apply
Submit your application including your CV/resume and Cover Letter by May 15, 2023.
* Applications that do not follow the above instructions will not be considered. We will review your application and if shortlisted, will invite you for an interview._
Join the Team, Apply Now
Job opening closes on
May 15, 2023
at GMT midnight