Scholar and Alumni Engagement Coordinator
About the Organization and Role
Jusoor (which means ‘bridges’ in Arabic) is an international NGO founded in 2011 with the mission of maximizing the potential of Syrian youth through education. The organization has become a leading global actor in educational and entrepreneurial programs for Syrian children and youth. The organization is known for its innovative approach to development challenges, high-velocity execution, and the strength of its global strategic partnerships and active volunteer base.
At Jusoor, we believe in the power of people to bring about extraordinary change. We see the Jusoor team as leaders of a significant shift in the future of Syria and Syrians globally.
Jusoor aims to foster a strong, connected, and passionate scholar and alumni community. The Scholar and Alumni Engagement Coordinator will be responsible for a variety of project and event planning tasks. We are looking for an energetic and ambitious individual who is passionate about Jusoor’s mission.
Required Skills and Experience
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal) in both English and Arabic.
- Ability to prioritize, meet deadlines, self-motivate, work independently as well as part of a remote team when handling a wide range of complex tasks.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, willing to support the Jusoor team.
- Experience in project management, platform management and excellent writing skills.
- Access to WiFi and a laptop.
- Completed a degree in a related field (International Relations, Education, Development, Political Science, Human Rights, etc.).
- Passionate about Jusoor’s mission and vision.
- Ability to work occasional non-standard hours including occasional evenings a weekends
Role Primary Duties and Responsibilities
In-person Event Planning (2-3/year)
- Manage planning of alumni events in North America and the United Kingdom
- Recruit speakers
- Secure venues and catering
- Arrange transportation and accommodation for Jusoor staff/alumni
Online Event Planning (3-5/year)
- Plan the Annual Scholarship Program Meeting for various stakeholders
- Plan Annual Onboarding Calls for new scholars
- Plan a speaker series on entrepreneurship and other topics
- Plan other online workshops and webinars as the need arises to meet the needs to scholars and alumni
Scholars and Alumni Newsletter and Website page
- Cooperate with the Communications Team to develop quarterly newsletters
- Write content for the newsletters to feature scholars and alumni
- Gather biographies and pictures from the alumni community and add them to our website using Notion
- Collaborate with the Communications Team for any other requests related to the website and newsletter.
- Maintain the Salesforce database
Scholar and Alumni Engagement
- Meet with scholars 1:1 twice per year
- Meet with new alumni 1:1 once immediately they graduate
- Manage the Scholars and Alumni community LinkedIn page, curating content and updates about members of the community as well as education and career opportunities
- Lead projects for scholars and alumni to give back to Jusoor and contribute to the Syrian community
- Formulate a buddy or mentorship program for new scholars with a scholar or alumnus in the same country and/or field of study
- Develop an alumni engagement strategy, including goals for alumni to give back to Jusoor
- Conduct scholar and alumni onboarding
- Support in scholar selection processes when needed
Mentorship and Career Development
- Coordinate with the Academic Mentorship Program Coordinator to recruit alumni to volunteer are mentors
- Coordinate with the Career Development Program to offer PD opportunities to our scholars and alumni
- Other duties assigned by the Head of Scholarships such as working as part of a team to develop and implement Jusoor’s strategic goals, working on the program’s Theory of Change.
- Participate in Scholarship team and organization-wide meetings
- Write bi-annual progress reports on each current scholar.
Working with Jusoor
- We place integrity, accountability, fairness, and respect at the core of our values.
- We treat everyone with courtesy and respect
- We never engage in or accept any form of harassment, bullying, discrimination, exploitation, or abuse of any kind.
- We consistently demonstrate collegiality and openness to different viewpoints.
- We act honestly and professionally in all work-related matters and uphold ethical professional practices
- We are inclusive and provide equitable access to information, resources, and opportunity and do not discriminate based on age, race, gender, religion, marital status, disability, or sexual orientation.
Why Work With us
- We are a diverse and fun people to work with
- Competitive Paid Time Off policy
- Professional Development stipend (focused on individuals’ career goals), plus organization-wide training opportunities
- Growth opportunities within the organization for the right candidate
Learn more about Jusoor and the team behind it here: https://jusoor.ngo/about
Please send a CV and cover letter to email@example.com by February 17th, 2023.